May was great


Brooke is the expert strawberry slicer, which is perfect, because we can't get enough in the summer!
We had had an exceptionally rough week. I don't remember why, but Blake brought home this oreo cake as a surprise. It was very welcome!
Hailey at her friend's birthday party.
In school, they did a culture day. Hailey and her friends volunteered and did Russia. They worked on it for over a month and presented it.  Way to go!
More car pictures. Hailey!!!
We planted these alliums in the fall and were so happy when they came up.  We need to get a lot more!
We went to a readathon at the library. The kids wanted to go because their were prizes and snacks.  Plus, they love reading.
William was having a meltdown one day and Hailey jumped in and read with him.  He was so snuggly.
Spencer has really gotten into indexing.  He needed help with it one night while I was making dinner and Blake helped him. 
Strawberry artwork by Brooke.
I went on my first solo trail run and came down this path which was so beautiful. I even got a little lost and found my way back.
William was creatively putting together puzzles one day.

Spencer painted this chair and earned some money for it. He did a really great job.
The kids love the roof!
Spencer got up early one school day and got all ready so he could index.  Usually we say no screens in the morning, but you can't say no to that!
It was horribly humid for awhile and William kept falling asleep. The humidity is torture!
Brooke at it again.  I'm glad she got a regular picture of regular events in our house.
William took a gymnastics class for a few weeks in May.  He had a great time.
Hailey, Sidney, Addie.  Best buds.
Typical Iowa sunset.  We especially love the weathervane in the background.
We had a really scary storm one night and I kept thinking the tornado siren would go off.  It was so bright because the lightening wouldn't quit!  I got freaked out and we got the kids up at 5 am and took them downstairs and watched Curious George. Of course, they were super tired for school so I made them apology waffles and ice cream. I started to feel a little better when I found out that true Iowans were worried about the storm too.  Ah, the joys of the Midwest!
Hat day at school. Brooke is on a kick where she wants her own picture. Fine by me. She's super cute.

We went to the fire station for a field trip. William had been asking for awhile so we got it set up. It was pretty exciting. Now every time we pass that fire station, he wants to go in.
Group shot minus William who was very upset.  Come to find out, he thought his bag didn't have the awesome whistle in it.  
Happily, we found the whistle. Said no mom ever.
When the kids got home from school after "the tornado that wasn't", they were exhausted, so we watched Mr. Bean for a good long time and went to bed early.
Brooke drew pictures of her family and her friends. I thought it was hilarious that she wrote Blake as "dad" and me as "Heather" and I was listed as "Heather" in her friends list.  She can't get away with it at home, so she 'll try to at school!
Our downstairs bathroom is creepy.  We ripped out the carpet to reveal ugly tile.  

Hailey was supposed to paint a picture about a family tradition. She chose Papa's waffles with ice cream on Christmas.  Her teacher had it displayed somewhere, we don't know where! But we were pretty happy for her!
Spencer at his good friend's Issac laser tag party.  We are good enough friends that Spencer asked Isaac's dad to bring their laser tag stuff for his next birthday and he totally wanted to. 
Hailey went to Sidney's birthday party at the park too. Great girls.
Brooke and I went to Target when they were at the birthday parties! I think we won, although they were out of icees so we got to have pretzels. Plus, Brooke is so fun.
Before of the kitchen wall before Blake did the back splash. Happy I didn't have to paint this area!
We went on an old railroad track one day while we were going a bit crazy.  The humidity was awful but it was a little less around 8 pm.  

William touching the train.
Spencer took these pictures. He is starting to like taking picture too.

Never a dull moment!  Spencer is usually up for an adventure.  I love chatting with him. He is full of information!


When we got back from the train visit, Blake had almost finished the backsplash. Brooke kept him company and colored.
William was reading a church magazine one morning during breakfast.  He has caught on to the reading habit!
William drew a picture in primary and titled it "Black Thunder" in honor of the awful storm we had.  He got it right!
We went out to see Grandma Jo's grave one day.  That made us all a little sad but we just love her so much.  We're so glad she is with her husband again.
This was the week of medical procedures. Hailey had been having a pain in her right abdomen for a few days.  Blake took her to quick care on Sunday becuase she was white faced. We thought it could be appendicitis, but they thought UTI, so they sent her home with antibiotics.  They said if it wasn't better in 24 hours to go to ER for a scan.  It wasn't better and she was hurting bad so we took her in.  6 hours and an IV and scan later, still no diagnosis.  I called her pediatrician (who happens to be in our ward) and he said to bring her in when we brought Brooke in her for eye pre-op check up.  Turns out she had strep. Strep! And nobody had checked for it. A few rounds more of antibiotics and it was gone.  That was pretty frustrating. She spent a week in bed and Hailey doesn't stay in bed.  Thankfully we made it through!
We had a lot of big rains and Blake decided it was the perfect time to clean the driveway.  He did a great job!
We took teacher gifts for the end of the year.  Spencer's card said "Be Fragile". I thought that was pretty funny!
The kids on the last day of school.  Hailey missed the last two days of school because she was still sick.  She was sad about it but it worked out.  We sure had a great first year at our school.  The kids made good friends and feel at home at the school.
Brooke and Mrs. Eller.  She was a great kindergarten teacher.  She really helped Brooke to chill out a bit.  And she was patient and understanding.
Hailey and Mrs. Evens.  She was very chill compared to the last year's teacher!  Hailey learned alot and fit right in to her class.  Spencer didn't get a picutre with his teacher but he will! We know where she lives, so we'll have to go say hi.
We had leftover tiles from the backsplash so William used them for building.  He said "I am a builder like Grandpa".
Our first strawberries off of our plants. They were bitter and the squirrels at the rest, so we're going to have to figure out a better plan for next year.
William needed to cool bandaids for his owie. And Brooke had some "mysterious" injuries so she could use the cool bandaids too.  Weird how nobody cares about bandaids when they are the regular brown ones!
I looked through the skylight one day and saw this!  So beautiful!
Hailey took a bunch of church pictures and hung them around the house. I have liked going around the corner and seeing random pictures of Jesus.
Brooke before her tear duct surgery at 6 AM!  We are so excited that there is no more goopy eye!  She got the cute hat and kept it.  All of the nurses were so kind to her and kept calling her "dolly" and "darling".  While she was being anesthetized, she started wiggling around, trying to fight it and it was upsetting for me. I hope we never have to have surgeries ever!
After the surgery.  Her eye was sore and she was really tired but she woke up nicely and ate her popsicle and watched a show.  I was so proud of her for being brave!
When they took the IV out, the nurse put a smiley face on her bandage.  I love her little hand.  Brooke was supposed to stay down for the day.  Easier said than done! She did not like having to be stuck sitting but her eye would start to be yucky if she was jumping around. So, we had another home day. What a week!  The nurses sent her a card in the mail too. I was just so grateful for their care.  
We went and got donuts after her surgery.  She was so excited!  And it was national donut day!
Brooke's friend, Addie, brought her cupcakes after her surgery.  It was so nice of her!
Spencer's self portrait is the best thing ever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Babies

January 2023

Brookey Brooke