Nauvoo Exodus Walk
Had a good snow day after school one day. Brooke refused to go out during the winter very often but if the other kids go out, she is all over it. This is our Iowa beach.
Lovely snowy morning sunrise
Spencer found a quarter one day and stuffed it in his eye.
What Spencer would do if he had $100: he would buy 31 papa johns pizzas, army sets and lego sets. He's awesome. I love how he stretched his $100 so nicely.
The Mississippi crossing an old rotating bridge. It rotates open whenever a barge goes through. It's quite creepy.
We went to Nauvoo for a pioneer exodus walk. Blake and I both have pioneer ancestors from Nauvoo so we found names of people to walk for. William Bell, Josea Stout, Mary Bell. William was home with Blake because William decided not to sleep through the night. It was so neat to see all the work they put into it. It was a beautiful day too. So grateful it wasn't as cold as that day long ago in February. My heart broke a little for them as I pictured them leaving all they loved behind them. But knowing they were doing it to be free from persecution. Such strength and bravery. I wonder if I would have the same bravery.
There were a bunch of different flags representing countries of the pioneers. They came from so far, just to be with other members of our church. We sang "Come, come ye saints" and it was beautiful.
I looked back as we walked down Parley street and was struck by the temple. To leave it behind but knowing that they had made covenants and promises. I am sure this strengthened them through hard times and death of family. It was a great experience. As an afterthought, Brooke and Spencer were pretty grumpy sometimes, but I am still glad we did it. We even met some long lost relatives.
Comments